Important Security Enhancements from Paychex
At Paychex, we take your information and financial security seriously. To remain on the leading edge of online protection, we are enhancing our login process to include even better safeguards to greatly reduce the chances of unauthorized access to your account.
How will my login process change?
Same username and password:
Whenever you login to Paychex Online, you’ll enter your username and password as usual.
If you are logging in from a new or unrecognized computer, you will be prompted for additional information, either an answer to a security question or a temporary verification code sent to your mobile phone. You get to choose which method (security question or verification code) is used.
Keeping login simple:
During login, you can tell us to "recognize" your computer. From then on, that computer will only ask for your username and password when you login. You’ll still be covered, because when you or anyone else tries to sign in to your account from another computer, additional information will be required.
Extra security available:
If you want an even greater level of security, you can enable a setting that will require this additional information every time you login, even on recognized computers.
Why is this important to me?
It’s easier than you might think for someone to steal your password. Any of these common actions could put you at risk of having your password stolen:
- Using the same password on more than one site
- Downloading software from the Internet
- Clicking on links in email messages that are part of a phishing scheme or other hack attempt
These additional security measures, called multi-factor authentication, can help keep unauthorized users out, even if they have your password. They’ll also need your mobile phone or knowledge of the specific security questions and answers you set up.
Leading financial institutions and many other security-conscious online services have introduced multi-factor authentication for this additional layer of security. We’re proud to make it available to you.
What do I need to do?
- Nothing right now.
- In the coming weeks, your account will be prepared for the update. We'll let you know with an email and a phone call when it's ready. When you log into Paychex Online, you will also notice an announcement stating that the update is available.
- We'll prompt you during login to update your account information (like phone number and security questions) and to choose your security level.
- You can choose to "update later." You will be able to do this up until the specified date, at which time you will need to make the security changes.
If you would like us to update your security sooner, contact your Paychex representative, and we'll arrange an early transition for your company.