Security Notice: ‘Tis the Season – Protect Your Online Information During Year-End
While businesses must remain vigilant for increasingly sophisticated cyber threats year-round, cyber criminals often ramp up their activities during the holiday season. In particular, security professionals see an uptick in malware and credential theft attempts through phishing scams this time of year. Although you may actively monitor your online security, small businesses are just as vulnerable to data breaches and cyber thefts as large corporations.
The following are some simple, but important, tips to help protect your Paychex account and all your online accounts from cyber attacks:
- Do not open suspicious emails or attachments.
- Use caution when clicking on hyperlinks embedded in messages.
- Be wary of emails from unknown parties.
- Strengthen and regularly change passwords.
- Use the highest level of MFA (multi-factor authentication) available.
- Protect your PII and PHI (Personally Identifiable Information & Protected Health Information).
- Keep your software up to date and apply software security patches to your computer operating system and applications.
- Use anti-virus, anti-spam, and anti-spyware software, as well as a personal firewall.