We Make a Positive Community Impact
Giving Back as a Company, and as Individuals.
Paychex has a longstanding commitment to the communities in which our employees live and work across the United States. It begins with hiring people who live in the markets we serve. Then, within these 100+ communities, Paychex and its employees organize community fundraisers, participate in local challenge events, volunteer at food pantries and clothing drives, or commit time to a personal cause. In addition, Paychex provides free or discounted services to a number of charitable groups and organizations.
It Begins with Corporate Giving
Following the philanthropic footsteps of our founder, Tom Golisano, Paychex has actively supported our greater Rochester, New York hometown for decades. Then in 2014, the Paychex Charitable Foundation was established to serve as the company’s vehicle for its charitable contribution efforts.
Contributions from our Foundation support one or more of the following categories:
- Health and wellness
- Improving the economic health of the community and its workforce
- Corporate citizenship
In addition, the Foundation supports the significant charitable activities of Paychex employees outside of the Rochester region. For example, employees in our Lehigh Valley (PA) regional service center choose a different charity to support each year, providing hands-on volunteering and fundraising, then supplementing their efforts with Foundation grants. Their good work has helped several shelters in their hometown, giving people in need a helping hand.
Employees Make a Difference
At its heart, Paychex is a service company, with thousands of employees whose commitment to service is evident not only in how they take care of our customers and support their colleagues, but also in how they care for our communities. You could say it’s just part of our collective DNA.
Whether raising hundreds of thousands of dollars in each annual companywide United Way campaign, organizing grass-roots efforts in their local communities to feed the hungry, doing fundraising walks to fight diseases like cancer and heart disease, or gathering on a summer Saturday every year for the annual Paychex golf tournament, Paychex employees live and breathe what we call the "Paychex Cares" spirit. Top achievers in our sales organization even turn their annual sales conference into an opportunity to give back. For six consecutive years, they held 5K fundraising runs during their conference, raising tens of thousands of dollars for chosen causes. This tradition of giving back continued, even during the two conferences held virtually during the COVID-19 pandemic. Even without a 5K run, the donations poured in, and were matched by the Paychex Charitable Foundation.
- We provide each employee with eight hours of paid time off every year to volunteer for a community organization.
- United Way, the American Heart Association, and our annual Veterans Day fundraiser are supported nationwide by Paychex employees, who also give back to numerous organizations at a local level.
By the Numbers – Fiscal 2021
- Employees donated nearly $400,000 to United Way during a rollover period of 15 weeks while the company’s annual campaign shifted due to the pandemic.
- The Paychex Charitable Foundation made $1,035,725 in grants to certified 501(c)(3) organizations across the U.S., including more than $27,000 to organizations supported and nominated by employees to supplement their team volunteer efforts, which continued despite the pandemic.
- Nearly 500 employees spread out throughout the Rochester community to do hands-on volunteer work such as landscaping and painting during the 2021 Day of Caring.
- Through the Foundation, provided financial assistance to more than 100 organizations that support diverse communities and initiatives.
Community Support in Action: Caring Spirit Award
Beginning in 2017, Paychex has presented the Caring Spirit Award to a Paychex team that goes above and beyond in demonstrating their commitment to charitable service. The coveted Award is based on three criteria: their support of the annual United Way campaign, whether they’ve secured funding from the Paychex Charitable Foundation to support their activities, and the breadth and depth of grass-roots charitable initiatives they undertake throughout the year.
We didn’t designate a winner in 2021 since one-third of the judging criteria wasn’t relevant due to not holding our traditional United Way campaign. The most recent winner – our San Diego BeneTrac/PEO office – was recognized in 2020. They showed stellar support of that year’s United Way effort, both in special event fundraisers and an average employee gift amount that exceeded the companywide average. The team also provided hands-on help in their community with things like a huge school supply drive and a fundraising run for veterans suffering from PTSD.