Making a positive impact in our communities
Paychex has a longstanding commitment to the communities in which our employees live and work across the United States. Within these 100+ communities, Paychex and its employees organize community fundraisers, participate in local challenge events, volunteer at food pantries and clothing drives, or commit time to a personal cause. In addition, Paychex provides free or discounted services to a number of charitable groups and organizations.
- 20% or more of Paychex Charitable Foundation balance awarded each fiscal year
- 5% annual increase in employee United Way contributions
It Begins with Corporate Giving
Following the philanthropic footsteps of our founder, Tom Golisano, Paychex has actively supported our greater Rochester, New York hometown for decades. Then in 2014, the Paychex Charitable Foundation was established to serve as the company’s vehicle for its charitable contribution efforts.
Contributions from our Foundation support one or more of the following categories:
- Health and wellness
- Improving the economic health of the community and its workforce
- Corporate citizenship
In addition, the Foundation supports the significant charitable activities of Paychex employees outside of the Rochester region. For example, employees in our Northern New Jersey office have made an ongoing volunteer commitment to Table to Table, a food rescue program that collects perishable food items and delivers them to organizations across Northern New Jersey that serve the hungry. Seeking Foundation support, Paychex employees filled out an application that, among other things, describes their team’s efforts to support the organization, and have secured Foundation grants for Table to Table totaling $12,500 over the past four years.
Employees Make a Difference
At its heart, Paychex is a service company, with thousands of employees whose commitment to service is evident not only in how they take care of our customers and support their colleagues, but also in how they care for our communities. You could say it’s just part of our collective DNA.
Whether raising hundreds of thousands of dollars in each annual companywide United Way campaign, organizing grass-roots efforts in their local communities to feed the hungry, doing fundraising walks to fight diseases like cancer and heart disease, or gathering on a summer Saturday every year for the annual Paychex golf tournament, Paychex employees live and breathe what we call the "Paychex Cares" spirit. Top achievers in our sales organization even turn their annual sales conference into an opportunity to give back. At the 2019 conference, held in the Bahamas, their sixth annual 5K event raised a record $32,000 (including $10K in matching grants from the Paychex Charitable Foundation) for two organizations that are leading the fight against cancer.
- Our employees support ongoing causes while also responding to emergencies and natural disasters, such as 200 items of clothing, books, and toys that sales conference attendees brought to the Bahamas to help local children impacted by Hurricane Dorian.
- We provide each employee with eight hours of paid time off every year to volunteer for a community organization.
- United Way, the American Heart Association, and our annual Veterans Day fundraiser are supported nationwide by Paychex employees, who also give back to numerous organizations at a local level.
By the Numbers – Fiscal 2019
- More than $1 million was raised for United Way, including more than $840,000 from employees and a $180,000 corporate gift.
- The Paychex Charitable Foundation made $547,000 in grants to certified 501(c)(3) organizations across the country.
- The Paychex Employee Golf Tournament raised $7,500 for Rochester charities this year, bringing the total to more than $42,000 since 2006.
Community Support in Action: Caring Spirit Award
Every year since 2016, the company has presented the Caring Spirit Award to a Paychex team that goes above and beyond in demonstrating their commitment to charitable service. The coveted Award is based on three criteria: their support of the annual United Way campaign, whether they’ve secured funding from the Paychex Charitable Foundation to support their activities, and the breadth and depth of grass-roots charitable initiatives they undertake throughout the year.
The 2019 winner was our Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania Regional Service Center (“LHV”). With year-over-year United Way participation improvement, doubling their United Way donations through special event fundraisers such as a hot dog day and a “pi” day on March 14, and food and clothing drives throughout the year, LHV proves that giving back is an important part of their team’s culture of caring. They also made a year-long commitment to a shelter that provides temporary housing for homeless families. By adopting an apartment, the LHV team purchases necessities like dishes, pots and pans, bedding, and towels. Then they clean and decorate the apartment for the new occupants, and go back three more times during the year to restock and refresh for the next family.